Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Snake!

Garter snake. Photo by Bruce Spencer.I had a surprise this evening when I was changing the sheep’s water – under the bucket I found what I believe was a rat or garter snake. It was definitely not poisonous but very aggressive.

We use to see lots of snakes on our properly before we started regularly cutting our fields. Snakes love tall grass and thatch to hide in. I once stepped on a black rat snake hidden in thatch – big surprise. Snakes like tall grass because it helps them hide form their prey and from hawks. I once saw a hawk flying over our farm with a live snake in it’s claws – if only Eden had had hawks.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We used to have a beautiful big king snake living under the cement entryway by our garage, but we think the dogs scared it away. Only after that did we experience mice and chipmunks getting IN the garage; it was handy when we had nature's exterminator living just outside. I'm surprised the snake you found was aggressive; I think it was probably just scared because you moved its cover.

10:13 PM  
Anonymous David Taylor said...

The snake is a garter snake, probably the common garter snake, Thamnophis sirtalis. They are somewhat aggressive by nature. I have experienced the bite a couple times (as a youngster) and they are painful and somewhat slow to heal. Good snakes to have around for general insect/slug control. The eggs are retained in the female's body until they hatch, so they give birth to live young.

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home